Electrical Apprenticeship Instructor • BCIT • Burnaby, BC • September 2012 – Present (10 years)
• Deliver instructional materials in both classroom and shop environments.
• Facilitate learning and evaluate student progress, plan, organize and manage learning activities and resources in classroom and shop settings
• Provide an industry perspective and serve as mentor for a class of apprenticeship students.
• Liaise with industry and keep up with industry developments.
English for Special Purposes Teacher • Authentic English • Online • August 2010 – September 2012 (2 years 2 months)
English for Special Purposes Online Interactive / Communicative Classroom:
• Medical / Tourism / Business / Trades & Technologies / Aviation
• English Vocabulary, Pronunciation, Comprehension
• IELTS & TOEFL Preparation • Immigration Requirements
• Job / School Prerequisites, University Supplement • Adult & Children Programs
• Placement & Progress Testing, Certificates of Completion
Electrical Contractor/Journeyman Electrician • Eaglecrest Electric • Courtenay, BC • January 1996 – July 2012 (16 years 7 months)
• Owned and operated a successful industrial, commercial, marine and residential electrical contracting company.
• Provided extensive hands-on technical support and direction in apprenticeship training, project coordination, site meetings/reviews and supervision of journeyman and apprentices.
• Accomplished in the roles of electrical estimator, administrative manager, designer, sales agent, and bookkeeper.
• Prepared contracts, shop drawings, as builds, maintenance manuals, CO(s) and progress claims.
Licensed Practical Nursing • Private Instructor • Ministry of Advanced Education / Discovery Community College • Courtenay, BC • August 2010 – February 2012 (1 year 7 months)
• Acquired knowledge of LPN course in learning theory and pedagogy and brought this knowledge to bear in an academic setting.
• Assisted with editing/proofreading, reading assistance/assistance interpreting questions, assignments and exams preparation
• Acquired knowledge of learning disabled students’ study skills and strategies and assisted in improving those skills.
• Communicated effectively with students, faculty and administrators.
Full Time English Teacher • ECC (English and Computer College) • Phuket, Thailand • July 2009 – August 2010 (1 year 2 months)
• Dedicated to teaching beginner to advanced, multilevel and mixed age group classes from kindergarten to adult, including English for special purposes.
• Researched, designed, and implemented innovative curriculum and syllabuses for integrated communicative classes including an intensive levelled and phonetic reading program that I provided a supply of new books, worksheets and activity materials for each student daily.
• Excelled in creatively motivating and stimulating students using progressive student based teaching methodologies.
• Successfully improved teaching expertise by attending collaborative seminars and researching and implementing innovative methodologies and principles.
• Achieved an excellent professional teaching reputation sought after by teaching colleagues, students and parents.
• Coordinated and designed exciting English centred games and activities for National Children’s Day and English Camps enthusiastically as the elected Master of Ceremony.
Full Time English for Special Purposes Teacher • EF English First / Saudi Aramco • Yanbu, Saudi Arabia • January 2009 – July 2009 (7 months)
• Created a dynamic communicative class environment for students with extensive language requirements.
• Motivated students in meeting educational goals.
• Creatively adapted material to help improve fluency in real-life dialogs and situations.
• Created handouts and activities for the English Teachers’ Library.
• Responsible for giving reading, writing, listening and speaking tests for level placement.
• Conducted testing and monitored student progress according to course curriculum.
• Taught intensive adult lessons in grammar/speaking, reading/writing, listening/pronunciation.
• Facilitated marked improvement in basic language acquisition.
Administrative & Project Manager/Contract Administrator/Estimator • Record Electric Ltd. • Abbotsford, BC • November 1994 – March 1996 (1 year 5 months)
• Successfully developed an electrical contracting company based on the director’s financial status; personal technical experience, competencies and intrinsic motivation.
• Provided extensive technical support and direction in apprenticeship training, project management and supervision of office staff, journeyman and apprentices.
• Accomplished in the roles of administrative manager, designer, sales and electrical estimator. Generated $800,000 in estimated project sales in six months with a self-developed estimating assembly database.
Chief Designer/Project Manager/Estimator/Journeyman Electrician • Sentinel Electric • Abbotsford, BC • January 1988 – November 1994 (6 years 11 months)
• Demonstrated a high level of performance as chief designer by coordinating an AutoCAD design department that recalculated and redesigned cost-effective layouts.
• Implemented aggressive cost saving measures in the Project Management and Estimating Departments.
• Co-Engineered MultiFamily/Commercial/Retail Units.
• Secured a high percentage of contracts by providing thorough and accurate estimates.
• Peace Arch Hospital: $3 million dollar addition to this hospital including Unit Substation and UPS system
• UBC Student Services Building: Designed and implemented system layouts for this unique new construction project with power monitoring system
• University College of the Fraser Valley: Large addition including several system upgrades
• Recon Cement Plant: New multifaceted concrete plant including PLCs, MCCs, Unit Substation and UPS system
• Open Learning Centre: Completed a renovation of this existing building in Vancouver to accommodate laboratory type classrooms
• Blue Jay Elementary: Installation of electrical systems for the new construction of this school
• Fraser Valley Fish Hatchery: Redesigned this existing building’s electrical systems to accommodate new exhibit layouts
• Comox Valley Airport: Supervised and implemented routine maintenance contract. Redesigned and implemented system upgrades to the security, fire alarm, HVAC, direct digital controls, public address (PA), Data, telecommunications, networking, distribution systems and site lighting to facilitate ongoing airport expansions.
• Various Commercial Units – New construction and remodeling
• Retail Shopping Units, Warehousing, Automotive, Woodworking, Cafés/Kitchens, Restaurants, Offices, Medical/ Veterinary Units, Computer Labs, Underground Parkades, Hair Salon, Massage therapy etc.
Design and Installed • 5 – Unit Substations in Vaults:
* 2 – 1500 KVA Transformers and Distribution
* 2 – 1250 KVA Transformers and Distribution
* 1 – 750 KVA Transformer and Distribution
* Various smaller Single Phase and Three Phase Transformers
* Kiosks, UPS systems, Ground grids and Seismic restraints
Designer, Estimator and Project Manager/Administrator:
* Coordinated over $6 million in projects
* Estimated over $20 million in various types of projects
* Redesigned/Project Manager of approximately 850 Multifamily and Commercial/Retail Units
* Designed and implemented electrical installations of 400 Units of Multifamily construction
Vancouver Community College: BC Provincial Instructor Diploma, Educational/Instructional Technology, 4.0 GPA, 2013 – 2014
The PIDP provides adult educators with the knowledge and skills needed to design, develop, manage and evaluate the instruction of adults in post-secondary education, business, industry and non-traditional adult learning environments. It also provides instructors with an accredited development program leading to diplomas and degrees at Vancouver Community College and other institutions.
The program places a priority on developing the practical abilities to fulfill the role and responsibilities of adult educators. It also emphasizes the development of personal attributes needed to assume the duties of a professional educator. The program stresses classroom leadership and facilitation, as well as motivational skills and human relations skills.
Pan Pacific International English College: Canadian Certified TESL/SP Diploma, Teaching English as a Second or Foreign Language/ESL Language Instructor, 93% 2007 – 2008
Canadian Power and Sail Squadrons: Boating Course & Maritime Radio Course, Seamanship, 94% 2006
British Columbia Institute of Technology / BCIT: Electrical Certificate of Qualification, Electrician, 90% 1989 – 1993
Abbotsford Senior Secondary: High School Diploma, 1981
• NRI – McGraw Hill – Master Course in Appliance Servicing
• Electrical Apprenticeship
• Annual Electrical Code Update Seminars (Updated to 2012 Code)
• Canadian Power and Sail Squadrons
• Business Marketing/Accounting
ECC (English and Computer College):
• TEYL Certification Program
EF English First / Saudi Aramco:
• English First Academic Seminar
Arabic – Elementary proficiency
Thai – Elementary proficiency
French – Elementary proficiency
Skills & Endorsements
Top Computer Skills:
Adobe Acrobat, Microsoft; Word, Excel & Visio
Daniel also knows about…